Thursday, September 24, 2009

More mac n cheese, please.

Out of all the daily rountines in which we engage, supper time is by far the most entertaining in our household. It is a time set aside from the busyness of our day to talk  about our time spent away from each other. It is also a time to eat! Much of the Peacock dinner hour is spent trying to convince our growing child that eating actually is the prime objective of supper. The social aspect is an added benefit.

Avery's latest supper favorite is macaroni and cheese (of the homeade persuasion, of course). On a good night, if she's going to finish anything we've prepared, she may actually finish a reasonable portion of macaroni and cheese.

Last night was one of those nights. She had finished her portion and was not interested in anything else offered by her plate. So, she then focused her attention on Robert's plate...where there were heaping mounds of macaroni and cheese. It was like the mac n cheese mountain region. You've met my husband, right? Ok.

"Daddy, I would like some of your macaroni and cheese."

"I will give you a bite of macaroni when you eat 2 bites of ham."

Reluctantly and in a time span of seriously 10 minutes...she eats the stinkin ham.

Robert spoons a bite of mac n cheese onto her plate.

Avery temper tantrum begin....NOW! "Daddy! I want your macaroni and cheese!" She screams, tears streaming down her red cheeks. Pointing pitifully to his plate.

"Avery, you have a bite of macaroni on your plate. Eat that and I will give you some more."


Tantrum comtinues.


Robert and I spent the next 10 minutes of supper convincing our daughter to calm down, look at her plate and realize what is in front of her, eat what has been given to her, and only then would she receive more (and eventually...she did).

Man, that illustrates exactly how I interact with God sometimes!

"God, I need more of _____ (pointing to what someone else has)!"
"Have I not given you everything that you need? Try being a good steward of it and then perhaps I can trust you with more."

"God, I need you to fix our finances!"

"Why don't you give up what you have and I will bless you in your obedience to me."

"God, if only I had a job that weren't so stressful and demanding I could committ more time to serving you."
"I gave you that job and put you where you are to bring glory and honor to myself. Whether you understand it or not. View your job as your committment and service to me. Maybe then will you understand MY heart better."

Am I being faithful in what He has ALREADY given me? If not, why do I expect Him to entrust me with more or better or...different.

What are you doing with 'yours' today?

3 comments:

  1. although this is really...cute...i am waiting for a post surrounding something with camp! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, Perhaps financial abundance will be found through your writing, keep pouring your soul into written words of expression, focused on him, and you will be richly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey. knock knock. anybody in this blog??? i am waiting for something called, an updated post! :]

    ReplyDelete