Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mommy Diaries Part 2

We're sitting in the rocking chair for bedtime stories. We are reading her favorite book du jour (P is for Pumpkin); all curled up beneath her favorite blanket. She's tired. She needs comfort and rest; all of which I'm offering. Somewhere around "Q is for the quilting bee" she decides that she needs her stuffed penguin. She's insistent that we go find him. She's borderline obsessed. She's prepared to leave the warm, comforting arms of her mother's care to go in search of this penguin; which she's convinced herself that she absolutely needs at this very moment. I don't attempt to rationalize with her - only state that if she goes in search of the penguin she may find him, but she will definitely miss out on the rest of the story & quiet time with mommy before bedtime.
How often do I willingly choose to vacate the arms of my Heavenly Father in search of satisfying a need that I've convinced myself that I must meet for myself. I crawl out of His safe, nurturing, protective grasp; where all of my needs are being met - where I'm being held by the One who knows my needs better than I do myself, and I go in search of a penguin. Something so insignificant and unfulfilling. How much I've missed out on trying to chase after what I think I need instaed of trusting in the divine provision of the One who is holding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment